Welcome to Sonoma LAFCO
The Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO) was created by State law in 1963 to regulate the boundaries of cities and special districts. There is a LAFCO in each of the 58 counties of California. Each LAFCO is an independent public agency. The objectives of LAFCO are:
- To encourage the orderly formation of local government agencies and promote the efficient provision of public services
- To preserve agricultural land and open-space resources
- To promote orderly growth and discourage urban sprawl
As a public agency, LAFCO discusses and acts upon its business monthly in open public meetings.
We welcome your interest and participation in the important matters under study and consideration by LAFCO.
About the Commission
The Commission is comprised of seven regular members and four alternate members. The regular members are:
- Two members elected by the City Selection Committee of the Mayors and Council members’ Association from among the nine cities’ mayors and council members,
- Two members appointed by the Chair of the County Board of Supervisors from among their membership,
- Two members elected by the Independent Special Districts from among the members of the boards of directors of the districts, and
- One member appointed by the Commission from the public. The public member and alternate public member cannot be a current officer or employee of the County of Sonoma or of any city or special district located in Sonoma County
For each category of regular members (city, county, special district, and public) there is one alternate. Alternate members may attend and participate in LAFCO meetings but may vote only when a regular member from the category they represent is absent or chooses not to vote.
Each member serves a four-year term. A listing of Past Commission Members is available.
The procedure for filling positions on the Commission is stated in the Sonoma Sonoma Local Agency Formation Commission Policies, Procedures and Guidelines.
Current Commission Members
Independent Special District Members