A Municipal Service Review (MSR) is a comprehensive study to determine the adequacy of governmental services being provided by the local agencies under LAFCO jurisdiction (Government Code Section 56430). These studies may be used by LAFCO, other governmental agencies, and the public to better understand and improve provision of services and to identify opportunities for greater cooperation between service providers. The service review is a prerequisite to a sphere of influence update and may lead a LAFCO to recommend actions to other agencies or to take actions under its own authority.
Specifically, service reviews are required to address:
- Growth and population projections for the affected area.
- Present and planned capacity of public facilities and adequacy of public services, including infrastructure needs or deficiencies.
- Financial ability of agencies to provide services.
- Status of, and opportunities for, shared facilities.
- Accountability for community service needs, including governmental structure and operational efficiencies.
- Any other matter related to effective or efficient service delivery, as required by commission policy.