- What is a Special District
- What is a Special District Not
- Statutory Authority
- Types of Special Districts
- Advantages & Disadvantages
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Current Issues & Emerging Trends
- Districts by Type 1998 to 1999
- Resources & References
- Back to What are Special Districts?
Kimia Mizany prepared the Third Edition of this citizens guide. She worked from the First and Second Editions, prepared by April Manatt, formerly a consultant to the Senate Local Government Committee. The Third Edition benefited from the generous contributions from the following individuals:
- Peter Banning, Marin County LAFCO
- Wayne Beck, State Controller's Office
- Candace Carpenter, Senate Local Government Committee
- Cathy Cole, Metropolitan Water District of Southern California
- Peter Detwiler, Senate Local Government Committee
- Elvia Diaz, Senate Local Government Committee
- Jeff Dubchansky, Fulton-El Camino Recreation and Park District
- Greg Foell, Fulton-El Camino Recreation and Park District
- Ralph Heim, Heim, Noack, Kelley & Spahnn
- Nancy Lyons, Little Hoover Commission
- April Manatt, Grenada Hills
- Ralph Miller, California Association of Recreation and Park Districts
- Marianne O’Malley, Legislative Analyst’s Office
- Bob Reeb, Association of California Water Agencies
- Catherine Smith, California Special Districts Association
Cal-Tax. April 1985 Research Bulletin. Special District Growth: Less Than Meets The Eye.
Sacramento CA. 1985.
Commission on Local Governance for the 21st Century. Growth Within Bounds. Sacramento CA.
Little Hoover Commission. Special Districts: Relics of the Past or Resources for the Future?
Sacramento CA. 2000.
Senate Local Government Committee. What’s So Special About Special Districts? 1st ed.
Sacramento CA. 1991.
Senate Local Government Committee. What’s So Special About Special Districts? 2nd ed.
Sacramento CA. 1993.
Sokolow, Alvin D., et al. Choices for the Unincorporated Community: A Guide to Local Government Alternatives in California. 2nd ed.
Davis CA. 1981.
State Controller. Annual Report 1977-78. Financial Transactions Concerning Special Districts of California.
Sacramento CA. 1978.
State Controller. Special Districts Annual Report, Fiscal Year 1997-98.
Sacramento CA. 2000.